Friday, September 18, 2009

The writing (and reading) life

In many ways my work schedule here isn't that much different than the one I have at home. On days when I don't have research appointments (or at home, classes to teach) I can have a leisurely day puttering around the apartment punctuated by a few units of writing. Knowing that I would have some down time upon arrival, I came with a few writing projects to work on before things really get busy.

Last week I did some revisions to a piece I have been working on for well over a year. The first journal my co-author and I sent it to didn't like it one bit, but reading between the lines we think their objections were based more on politics than the quality of our arguments (not that those can't always be improved upon). We are revamping a bit for another journal and hope to get the piece sent off again next week.

This week I've been working on an article manuscript using the data I collected here last summer. A team from my home university and my collaborators here did a series of "community dialogues" with sex workers and youth about Senegal's current AIDS policies and their progress to date in the fight against AIDS. I'm hoping to have a decent draft by the end of next week, which then gives me a good jumping off point to corral my university counterpart who is extremely busy and therefore hard to pin down. My hope is that with the promise of a publication almost ready to go out the door, I can get a chunk of his time and plan out some of our other collaborations for my time here.

Once these two writing projects are off my desk, I will get to the ten or so monographs and 30 or so journal articles that I shipped to myself before leaving the States. I just finished an extremely useful book, "Mariage et Divorce a Dakar", and now I have to decide what to read next. I could start with "Modern Loves: The Anthropology of Romantic Courtship and Companionate Marriage", or perhaps "What's Love Got to do with it? Transnational Desires and Sex Tourism in the Dominican Republic". Ah the life of the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment