Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bien arrivée

After what seemed like weeks of shopping, packing, purging, moving, and storing, we were finally able to actually get on the plane last Thursday and now we are finally settling into our Dakar life. This is the swankiest version of Dakar life that I have yet to experience: our own apartment, great DSL connection (though our wireless router has a few hiccups), a washing machine, ceiling fans, an office with an air conditioner, and a housekeeper. Thank you Fulbright, and thanks to you too dear reader, these are your tax dollars at work.

In spite of the relatively posh accommodations, we have zero water pressure, torn roof shingles, and windows that leak during heavy rains. We had great thunder and lightening during two different showers today. Unfortunately we forgot to close our back windows when we went out for dinner so we had some mopping up to do when we got back.

Tomorrow is the first day I will do much resembling work. My colleague will pick me up and show me her new office digs so that I can get myself to and fro in the months to come. The next week or ten days will be spent making the rounds and renewing connections before starting to think about getting my research started. Ndank ndank as they say in Wolof.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty posh for Dakar.
    When we've been in Africa, we've always been happy to have electricity off and on throughout the day.
    Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rama! I'm so psyched to find that you're doing this blog! Brings back such fantastic memories- I wish we could hop over sometime while you're there and visit. But there's no way- we are here in Thailand through at least Nov next year, with just one quick trip home in a couple months- that's it. after that...who knows.....so in the meantime I'll live vicariously through your blog! Rock on!

    Cheers,
    Coumba Sarr

    ReplyDelete